Sunday, December 7, 2008

Crock Pot Turkey Chili

My mom gave us a big box of leftover Thanksgiving turkey. After 3 turkey dinners in a row, we were a little turkey'd out, so I needed to get creative! I found a turkey chili recipe here that sounded good, modified it for the crock pot, and only changed a few things. It makes a ton, enough for us to eat for a couple of days, some to freeze, and some to share with my parents.

Ingredients

2 cups chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans stewed tomatoes, mashed up
1 (15-oz)can crushed tomatoes
1 (15-oz)can diced tomatoes with chilis (unless you don't want it spicy, then just do regular diced)
1 small can tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can lentils, drained
3-4 cups leftover turkey, chopped
1 tbsp chili powder (more if you like it hot)
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp cinnamon

Put everything in the crock pot and cook. I'm no crock pot scientist, but since everything is already cooked, I figure you just need to cook it for awhile for the flavors to blend, and until it is nice and hot. I did it on low until Eric came home, which was about 6 hours, but it had been hot and bubbly for awhile before that.

Since we had so much, we ate it plain with cheese, over cornbread, and over rice. All ways were delicious!


No comments: