Thursday, April 16, 2009

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Ok its a little late, but it turned out really good! I read about adding butter, and wasn't sure, we don't usually cook with a lot of butter. Some people said they put in a whole stick, eww! But I put in a quarter of a stick and I think it really made it more rich.

1 corned beef brisket
6 potatoes, cut into pieces
1 small cabbage, cut into wedges
1 onion, cut into small pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 package sliced mushrooms
1/4 stick butter

Saute garlic and onions in a pot. Add roast and sear on all sides. Add spice packet and cover with water and butter (I had also just made chicken broth so I put some of that in there in place of part of the water). Bring to a boil, then simmer 50 minutes per pound. 40 minutes before it is done, add potatoes. 15 minutes before it is done, add in cabbage and mushrooms.

Take out the meat and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing, and serve with the broth and veggies.


No comments: